WOOCOMMERCE PLUGIN, INSTALLATION AND SET UP
5 February, 2018
Actualizado el Thursday, 8 February, 2018
Here we are one more day with our web design tutorial. Once we have installed CMS WordPress and we know how to use it, the next step is Woocommerce plugin. Let’s see how to install it and set it up.
Woocomerce is a free wordpress plugin to develop an e-commerce, installed like any other plugin. To intall it, we go to the plugins section, add plugin and look for woocommerce, once located the plugin we install it and activate it.
First steps to set up our e-commerce
On the first page we have to create the store pages, the cart and other pages. After pressing the continue button, they are created automatically.
Location and configurations of e-commerce
The next screen we specify the location of the store, the currency of sale (if dollars, euros…) and measurement units of the products that we are going to put in our e-commerce.
Shipping and configuration of taxes
This screen is important, is where we are asked about our business plan when selling a product, such as shipping methods, taxes and whether the price of the products will carry the tax included or not. The recommended option is to include taxes so the client won’t feel cheated.
From the woocomerce menu we can configure more options regarding this topic but it is important to make the bases of our store well detailed in this screen.
The next screen is the payment methods, we can configure them later but the sooner we do it the faster we finish it. The card payment option does not appear on this screen, since to activate this option we have to contact our bank and install a specific plugin.
The next screen is the final one, although a button to create the first product appears, we will look for the link where it returns to the wordpress desktop.
General adjustments of Woocommerce
In the general settings we will have to specify the specific settings of location, language, currency, etc.
Most of these elements are configured when installing woocommerce but if they were not, we were wrong in something, or we just want to change it, we can do it from this screen.
Setted up when installing woocommerce
Product visualization adjustments
Here we choose the page where our store will be displayed. And we see the different options of visualization, the best thing is to try the different options until finding the combination that we like the most.
Woocommerce inventory adjustments
Enable stock management to avoid selling products that you do not have available, it is important to activate all low stock alerts.
The first option is to enable taxes and their calculations that woocommerce will automatically perform. To show or not the prices with taxes, the advisable thing would be to do it, but it depends on the type of commerce.
Activate calculate taxes according to the client’s shipping address. Do not activate price rounding. If you add additional tax classes then you will have to configure it in the new tabs.
Standard taxes rates
Country name in capital letters. You can create positive or negative taxes. The second ones are to define special taxes.
At this point we will configure the different payment methods.
- Options of order
- Specify the exit pages (Cart, Payment, Terms and conditions)
- Order of payment options
- If we are going to use discount coupons, enable them in this window.
- Enable the types of payment you want to offer and set them up correctly.
- Activate accounts for bank transfer
- Get paypal api
- Data provided by the entity if the redsys payment gateway is used
- Each payment method is configured in its own section, that is, there is no tab to configure all payment methods.
Woocommerce shipping options
Decide if shipments will be made, because we can configure the collection in store. Enable types of shipments. Set the rates for each type of shipment
Woocommerce account options
In this section we will specify the buyer page and other settings.
- Specify or create the page where the user can see his profile
- Automatically create user accounts and password, which adds a security bonus, ie self-generated passwords.
Electronic mail options
In this part we personalize the emails that the buyer and seller will receive to confirm the shipment and any errors that may be caused. Here we can customize both the design and the fields and texts shown in the different emails.
Before starting to create products, we need to consider the following points:
- Product categories
- Shipping classes
- To create a product we go to the menu products-> Add products, open an editor window its elements are:
Title and long description of the product
WordPress standard editor where you enter texts as in entries and in pages
Short description of the product
Abbreviated editor where you write the short description of the product, which will be initially displayed in the store next to the product image.
Categories of Woocommerce products
Shows the product categories defined above.
Woocommerce product labels
They provide additional information about the product, such as special characteristics, brand, etc.
It is to define the visual element that will be shown on the cover of our store, in the navigation by categories and also as the main image of the product page.
This section will be shown below the main image, to offer different perspectives of the product, or variations.
In this information boxes we will find the following sections:
TYPES OF WOOCOMMERCE PRODUCTS
- External / Affiliated
- They can also be marked as virtual or downloadable
PRODUCT ADJUSTMENTS WOOCOMMERCE
- SKU: Unique code that identifies the product
- Usual price: Price of the product sold to the public
- Reduced price (optional): Offer price
- Dates sale price (optional): dates that mark the period in which the product is downgraded.
- Fiscal situation: if the price is subject to taxes.
- Tax Class: Tax applicable to the product that you have defined in the settings.
- Values management: If the product is subject to inventory limitation
- Available quantity: How many units are available for sale
- Allow pending orders: If customers can order out-of-stock products
- Status: If the product is offered in stock or sold out.
- Sold individually: when the product is sold as a single order without being able to group it to others.
- Weight, dimensions and type of shipment
- Up-sales: Offer additional products that you want to promote
- Cross-sales: In the cart the customer is offered to add similar products
- Grouping: packages of different products
- Are the possible attributes or options of the product.
- We can write annotations about the product, and define the order with respect to other products.
- And finally we have the options to save the product, and publish the created product
Once we have done everything, we will have our Woocommerce ready and setted to sell our products online. We will continue with our tutorial tomorrow. If you have any doubt, please contact us.